Wednesday, March 5, 2014

God is real, and He is Good

            The walls were a faded blue, with peeling paint and mold creeping up the corners. The air was heavy and stale, and I coughed as I walked through a cloud of cigarette smoke. I asked “Aveti copii fara mame?” (Do you have any children without mothers?) The nurse I had directed the question to looked at me scornfully, but jutted her head to the side, motioning toward a room at the end of the long hallway. My steps echoed with pain and frustration as I walked, and my mind attempted to comprehend the reality of the situation. I entered the room and moved toward the first crib in sight. I peered over the rusty, paint-chipped bars and my heart stopped. Inside laid a little baby with eyes that reflected the sorrow of his life. His frail body was so thin that his transparent skin stretched over the bones, and he was too weak to even cry. He was sweaty and soiled, and as he struggled to breathe I gently picked him up to change him.
            I sank to my knees with this sick little boy wrapped in my arms and sobbed uncontrollably until I thought my heart would die from despair. I asked God why He would let one of his beloved children suffer in this way? How was it fair that this baby was starving from lack of proper nutrition? Why wasn’t there medicine to help heal this baby from his illness? Then as if God had heard my pleas for understanding, I could feel some of the sorrow lifted from my spirit. God answered and told me “This baby is here so that you could come to Romania and serve him, and learn through his trials.” I was humbled and as I tried to absorb the moment, the Lord automatically blessed me with comfort, and I could feel the infinite love He has for his children encircle us. The darkened room seemed to fill with light, and I knew in that moment that God is always mindful.
             In mortality we are blessed with trials that will test our faith in God and His plan. There will be times when following the path of discipleship is too much to bear because no man is exempt from sorrow or pain in this life. But I know that we are not left comfortless, and if our hearts are willing, we will be guided by our Father in Heaven. He will bless us with understanding, lift our burdens and give us hope for the future. God loves us unconditionally and regardless the circumstance of our lives. Never think that you are too far from the reach of God’s merciful hand, and know that because God lives, you are never alone.


-Cynthia S.

2 comments:

  1. Cynthia,

    Thank you for sharing. This is beautiful. Your life encourages me to strive harder. Love you tons! Kathi Porter

    ReplyDelete